A New Life, stained glass mosaic on board, 11" x 16", 2011 sold
This piece was specially commissioned by a very good
friend as a surprise present for a very special young couple expecting a
baby. The healthy, little girl was born this morning so I thought I'd
celebrate by sharing her new mosaic. My guidelines, as with most of my
recent commissions were very flexible: "I'd like it to be abstract but
also have the joy of creation, the beauty of a new life coming into
being..." I chose the spiral (koru) shape to be the key design element
which is based on the unfurling of a silver fern and symbolizes new
life, growth, strength and peace - all that come with the creation of a
new life. I knew that the recipients of the mosaic love yellow
(optimism, renewal, hope, enlightenment, joy and happiness) and orange
(energy, balance, enthusiasm, warmth, and vibrancy) - so that inspired
the color palette. What makes this piece extra cool is that it seems to
work in all directions.
No comments:
Post a Comment